Thursday 22 March 2012

Define and Describe a Character

Rice, Anne. Blood Canticle. Alfred A. Knopf. 2002. Print
Define and Describe a Character


The character I will be using for this blog post is: Lestat de Lioncourt

The words I'm going to use to describe Lestat are conceited, loving, and desperate.

Conceited-  to have an excessively favorable opinion about one's appearance or abilities.
                -Synonyms- Arrogant, Vain
                -Antonyms-  Humble, Self-conscious  
Idealist- a person who holds fancies in mind
          -Synonyms- Dreamer,Romantic
          -Antonyms- Realist, Pragmatist 
Desperate - to be reckless or dangerous because of despair, or having an urgent need or desire.

                -Synonyms- Careless, Headstrong
                -Antonyms- Confident, Secure


How do you know that this character has these qualities?
 How do I know Lestat has these characteristics. Well throughout the book many things were said to show that he had these characteristics. "Yeah, I like that: Lestat, the magnificent. That sounds like a good name to me for this book. And I am, when you get right down to it, magnificent. I mean, somebody has to say it."(Rice 4) is a quote very close to the beginning of the book. It shows his opinion of himself very much. I believe this is direct quote to show that he is conceited. The next word to describe Lestat is that he is an dreamer. The quote I chose to show this is : "I want to be a saint. I want to save souls by the millions. I want to do good everywhere."(Rice 7) This quote is also direct since he is stating what he wants to be, but he can't really achieve this.  The last word to describe him is desperate. I chose two quotes to show this: "I'm too desperate!"(Rice 6) this quote is direct, getting straight to the point that he is desperate, and "That's why no amount of wealth and power can silence me for very long. Desperation is the source of the fount."(Rice 6) this quote is also direct when you get to the end of the sentence. 

1 comment:

  1. I already dislike this character, however i am compelled to read this book. Interesting post, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete