Sunday 15 April 2012

Significance

Collins, Suzanne. Mockingjay. New York: Scholastic, 2010. Print.

Many factors in "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins, are significant to the whole story. One part that is significant, would be when Prim, Katniss' sister, dies. "Trying to shout her name above the roar, I'm almost there, almost to the barricade, when I think she hears me, because for just a moment, she catches sight of me, her lips form my name. And that's when the rest of the parachutes go off." (Collins 347) This is significant in three ways. One it helps the audience understand the character's (Katniss in this case) motivation. "... I say, ' I vote yes... for Prim.'"(Collins 370) shows how Katniss' motivation in a vote, which says yes for her sister. It also helps to reveal/further our understanding of the relationship between Prim and Katniss. With her sister know gone, Katniss reveals how she feels about her sister, and the way their relation was before she died. The final significant point is that it creates irony. In the start of the series, Katniss saves Prim's live by volunteering, but in the end Prim ends up dying. I find this ironic, that even though it all started with Katniss trying to save her sister, she ends up dying anyways. Another important part in the book is the roses the President Snow gives Katniss. These roses help provide insight into the feelings Katniss and Snow have for each other. "He left me a rose!"(Collins 15) When Katniss first receives the rose she knows that it isn't a good sign. During the book Katniss says things about Snow, which usually lead to her referring to the roses Snow has. In the end when Katnis is about to kill Snow she said to put a rose on him, this will show how she felt for him, and symbol their feeling for each other. Those are the two points I chose to show some of the points which are significant to "Mockingjay".   

2 comments:

  1. You fixed your mistake -_- But i like the post! Very detailed and i agree with you it is ironic that Prim dies after all of Katniss' efforts to keep her alive. Also she is indeed a huge part in Katniss' part of the story. Descriptive, i like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I know that I fixed my mistake. I thank you for your comment.

      Delete